Institution News Team
The young member rep for IMECHE GHANA, King Lucas Darko’s report on this year’s Speak Out for Engineering competition (SOfE). The first ever SOfE heat in Ghana was organized this year on the 25 June, 2021.
Below are the names of the selected applicants and the respective topics they presented on, each contestant was allotted 15 minutes for their pitch with a warning bell two minutes prior to the end point. This was followed by a ten-minute question and answer session.
1. Ms. Theodosia Awinimi Apibil the only female contestant presented on the topic: Using solar energy and electricity as an alternative to fuel for running cars and vehicles.
2. Mr Prince Otu presented on the topic: Railway development and its influencing factors in Ghana.
3. Mr. Bryan Afriyie Attobrah gave out a presentation on the topic: Nuclear energy as an alternative source of clean energy in contribution to ending carbon emissions and achieving the SDG #7 (Affordable and Clean Energy).
4. Mr. Benjamin Tettehdzi presented on the topic: Heavy duty machinery and their contribution to industrial and civilian development.
5. Mr. Victor Danquah took the floor and presented on: Hybrid plastic express roads transforming plastic waste into roads.
6. Mr. Silas Yeboah presented on Matrices and determinants; application in real life in aiding the advancement of technology.
7. Mr. David Ato Brown gave out a presentation on the topic: Principles of thermoelectric cooling: advantages and disadvantages.
8. Mr. Emmanuel Ocran Aboagye presented on the topic: Desalination of sea water as an alternative solution to the global problem of severe shortages of clean drinking water
The judges were impressed by all the participants and acknowledged their depth of knowledge as well as the communication skills. The Judges deliberated on the marks and finally came to a consensus, Dr Ebenezer Nyarko Kumi one of the judges addressed the contestants and the audiences acknowledging and encouraging all members to build their communication skills, he then went on to declare the winners for the competition.
The 2nd runner-up for the Speak Out for Engineers 2021 in Ghana was Mr David Ato Brown who presented on the Principles of thermoelectric cooling: advantages and disadvantages.
The 1st runner-up for the competition was Mr. Victor Danquah who presented on: Hybrid plastic express roads transforming plastic waste into roads.
The winner for the 2021 SOfE competition was Mr. Bryan Afriyie Attobrah who presented on: Nuclear energy as an alternative source of clean energy in contribution to ending carbon emissions and achieving the SDG #7 (Affordable and Clean Energy).
The event concluded with the distribution of respective citations and the closing remarks from the Student Chair, Mr. King Lucas Darko.
Download our Professional Engineering app
A weekly round-up of the most popular and topical stories featured on our website, so you won’t miss anything
Subscribe to Professional Engineering newsletter
Opt into your industry sector newsletter
Services for home and work
Recognising engineering excellence
Financial help and personal support
Improving the world through engineering
Flexible spaces at our head office in Westminster, London
Helping NDT professionals obtain, renew or upgrade their qualifications
Internationally recognised manufacturer of flawed specimens in the NDT and NDE industries
© 2021 Institution of Mechanical Engineers. IMechE is a registered charity in England and Wales number 206882